24 Hour ABPM (Privately Charged)
Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM) is when your blood pressure is being measured as you move around, living your normal daily life. It is normally carried over 24 hours. It uses a small digital blood pressure machine that is attached to a belt around your body and which is connected to a cuff around your upper arm. It small enough that you can go about your normal daily life and even sleep with it on.
Non-invasive ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) is being increasingly used to assess patients with hypertension. This trend is supported by evidence that 24-hour blood pressure profiles may be superior to isolated clinic pressures. This is because a 24 hour reading is more reliable than a simple one off reading. Patients often experience Dzwhite coatdz hypertension (elevated BP in the presence of a doctor) and are wrongly diagnosed with high BP. Multiple readings are useful for evaluating the effectiveness of high BP treatments in patients who have commenced medication or other therapy. It is also a useful tool for monitoring BP in patients who feel weak or who are hypotensive.
Why use ambulatory blood pressure monitoring?
- Ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) may be a better predictor of cardiovascular events than clinic blood pressure readings.
- To exclude the possibility of Dzwhite coatdz hypertension.
- Studies have shown that end-organ damage is more closely related to ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) than clinic blood pressure readings.
- Patients with hypertension whose nocturnal blood pressure remains high, < 10% lower than daytime average, mayhave a worse prognosis.
- ABP provides a 24-hour profile, allowing assessment of clinic effects, drug effects, work influence, etc.
What happens during the 24-hour ABPM?
- The small blood pressure cuff that is connected to the monitor will automatically check the blood pressure at regular intervals (about every 30 minutes), even while sleeping. The cuff can feel quite tight around the arm, but not painful.
- Patient is required to return the APB monitor the same time the following day.
- The blood pressure information is transferred from the monitor to a computer. The doctor will then review the result and decide if your treatment program is working or if adjustments need to be done in your medicines.
What are the preparations for the 24-hour ABPM and how long does it take?
Our fully trained staff will fit the monitor and explain the whole procedure. This takes approximately 10-15 minutes. No special preparations are necessary for the test, but it is sensible to wear a blouse or shirt that is loose on the arms or a short sleeved/sleeveless shirt.
Do not shower or bathe while wearing the unit.